[Cialug] UEX - UltraEdit for Linux

Chris Freeman cwfreeman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 14:15:18 CST 2009

I've used Eclipse extensively. Now I've got a free year license for
IntelliJ IDEA, and couldn't be happier.

It's all about learning the shortcuts and capabilities. I rename
methods/functions and variables/fields all the time. Having the IDE do
that for me is a HUGE time saver. I also don't like to type, and Java
IDEs know more about the method names I'm looking for than Vim does
(and I suspect more than Emacs does, too), and fills them in (with
JavaDocs available and everything).

I've been at the bottom of that learning curve, and it is daunting. If
you have someone around who knows the tools, ask for help. Look for
things you do often which the IDE could do for you. One or two hooks
is all it takes, and you'll feel that it's all worth your while.

It also helps that both Eclipse and IntelliJ have Vim bindings through
plugins (IntelliJ's is better).

IDE's are very very worth it.

Chris