[Cialug] UEX - UltraEdit for Linux

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Nov 10 15:48:37 CST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Dave Hala Jr <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not against using an IDE, I just get back to the "will it make me
>>> more productive with a minimal amount of pain" question.
>>
>> I think the premise of an IDE is kind of like knee surgery. There is a
>> lot of pain involved but once you get past it you're far more
>> productive. Stretching the analogy a little too far, you can limp
>> along w/out getting the surgery or IDE if you don't think you can take
>> the pain.
>
> I've only briefly used Eclipse (couldn't get past the pain :) ), how
> does it compare to other IDEs (commercial or otherwise)?

It's the 100 piece jigsaw puzzle of IDEs. If you use Java it is very
good out of the box. If you use C or C++ it's pretty decent on Linux.
If you are a web developer you have to add a variety of modules to get
it passable.

I've had better luck with Netbeans but it feels slow compared to
eclipse. But with netbeans you get functional php debugging and web
development out of the box (in addition to java and c/c++) and Ruby,
Rails and Python are each one step installs using Netbeans add-ons
panel.

The only commercial IDE I've used in recent times is Visual Studio and
it's pretty tough to beat. Netbeans is the closest I've seen.

--
Matthew Nuzum