[Cialug] UEX - UltraEdit for Linux

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Nov 11 15:56:04 CST 2009

I second the IntelliJ vote.  I'm using it for web development, and it makes
things a lot easier.  I tried to do some of the same stuff under Eclipse,
and I just couldn't get it working right.  There was an Eclipse plugin that
supposedly made using a JS framework library such as jQuery a lot easier in
Eclipse.  However, I quickly discovered that calling a function such as
"$(':input:first').focus()" caused Eclipse to flag it as an unknown
function.  Doing that same simple thing in IntelliJ just worked.  I don't
think I had to install any plugins for that to work (I installed some, but
don't think they were related to that).  Plus, it does a decent job of
telling you when you're doing things in HTML and CSS that IE may not support
(or are just plain wrong).  I will say that I tried out Netbeans too, and it
flagged things that IntelliJ did not.  So even IntelliJ isn't perfect.  The
cost of IntelliJ is a bit prohibitive, but if you can get a license for
doing open source work, the price does come down considerably.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Chris Freeman <cwfreeman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've used Eclipse extensively. Now I've got a free year license for
> IntelliJ IDEA, and couldn't be happier.
>
> It's all about learning the shortcuts and capabilities. I rename
> methods/functions and variables/fields all the time. Having the IDE do
> that for me is a HUGE time saver. I also don't like to type, and Java
> IDEs know more about the method names I'm looking for than Vim does
> (and I suspect more than Emacs does, too), and fills them in (with
> JavaDocs available and everything).
>
> I've been at the bottom of that learning curve, and it is daunting. If
> you have someone around who knows the tools, ask for help. Look for
> things you do often which the IDE could do for you. One or two hooks
> is all it takes, and you'll feel that it's all worth your while.
>
> It also helps that both Eclipse and IntelliJ have Vim bindings through
> plugins (IntelliJ's is better).
>
> IDE's are very very worth it.
>
> Chris

Tim