[Cialug] FF extension shenanigans

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue May 5 10:16:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com>
> wrote:
> > Well here's my issue with it.  Sure, I blame MS for doing something so
> > underhanded, but I think Mozilla has some blame too.  After reading the
> > article, I decided to "uninstall" it.  In order to do this, you have to
> go
> > into the registry.  Yep, that's right, Firefox has a hook that allows you
> > install an extension that is in the registry, and can't be uninstalled by
> > regular means.  So yeah, I'd consider that to be bad.
> >

> Is it that Mozilla wants it to be hard to remove or is it because Mozilla
>
>  a: Provides a way to install extensions system-wide and
>  b: Expects operating system vendors to provide an uninstall capability
> because
>  c: It doesn't know anything about .debs or .rpms or .msis
>
> I know in Ubuntu there is the ubufox extension which hooks into
> synaptic to install and remove system wide extensions. Therefore if
> you had the same problem in Ubuntu, imho, it wouldn't be mozilla's
> fault, it'd be Ubuntu's.

True, I just have a problem with it being installed in the registry.  There
is an extensions folder in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.  Why not put it
there?  I think the uninstall issue is because it's in the registry.
 Besides, currently there aren't any viruses/malware for Ubuntu (none that I
know of, anyway).  A piece of malware could be downloaded and install itself
as an extension in the registry, and the user would be "unable" to uninstall
it.  This just seems very bad to me.

> --
> Matthew Nuzum
> newz2000 on freenode, skype, linkedin, identi.ca and twitter

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/