[Cialug] FF extension shenanigans

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue May 5 08:33:52 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> Well here's my issue with it.  Sure, I blame MS for doing something so
> underhanded, but I think Mozilla has some blame too.  After reading the
> article, I decided to "uninstall" it.  In order to do this, you have to go
> into the registry.  Yep, that's right, Firefox has a hook that allows you to
> install an extension that is in the registry, and can't be uninstalled by
> regular means.  So yeah, I'd consider that to be bad.

Is it that Mozilla wants it to be hard to remove or is it because Mozilla

  a: Provides a way to install extensions system-wide and
  b: Expects operating system vendors to provide an uninstall capability because
  c: It doesn't know anything about .debs or .rpms or .msis

I know in Ubuntu there is the ubufox extension which hooks into
synaptic to install and remove system wide extensions. Therefore if
you had the same problem in Ubuntu, imho, it wouldn't be mozilla's
fault, it'd be Ubuntu's.

--
Matthew Nuzum