[Cialug] FF extension shenanigans

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon May 4 19:52:07 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> MS shenanigans too - .net 3.5 service pack 1 installs a firefox
> >> extension with no prompting or opt-out-ability, and with no add-ons
> >> window uninstall option
> >>
> >> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600
> >
> > I hate it when you're right.  I just checked my Addons and sure enough,
> it's
> > there.  And we're doing some .NET stuff at work, so I kinda need it.
> Stupid
> > M$!  I wonder if that's the cause of the instability I've had lately.
> >

> The wikipedia page on this "feature" does not read like it's written
> from a neutral pov but despite that, it sounds like a java web-start
> type of feature. Can anyone confirm if this capability is as
> problematic as some of the nay-sayers indicate?

Well here's my issue with it.  Sure, I blame MS for doing something so
underhanded, but I think Mozilla has some blame too.  After reading the
article, I decided to "uninstall" it.  In order to do this, you have to go
into the registry.  Yep, that's right, Firefox has a hook that allows you to
install an extension that is in the registry, and can't be uninstalled by
regular means.  So yeah, I'd consider that to be bad.

> --
> Matthew Nuzum
> newz2000 on freenode, skype, linkedin, identi.ca and twitter

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/