[Cialug] help with reinstalling windows

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sun May 3 20:27:37 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Ralph Kessel <ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've just purchased a new hard drive to reinstall my Windows Vista. I've
> just updated to Ubuntu 9.0 without any problems and like it very well. My
> question is how to reinstall windows without destroying my Ubuntu boot
> connection?

The Linux boot process has two parts: MBR and GRUB.  The MBR is what
boots first on any PC, no matter what operating system it has in it.
The MBR is just a lily pad to hop from to where the real goods are.
When you install Linux the real goods are in GRUB.

So, MBR first, then GRUB.

When you install Windows it will overwrite your MBR with its own
stuff.  This is not a problem.  After installing Windows, boot from
the Ubuntu CD (you can boot off of CD no matter what's in the MBR).
Once you're in the Ubuntu CD you can use this:

You'll have to setup GRUB to be able to boot to Windows.  This list
should be able to help you with that to.

> I differ to your experience.

Probably.  I made a few assumptions up above, but safe ones I believe.

-todd