[Cialug] help with reinstalling windows

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon May 4 09:18:53 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Ralph Kessel <ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've just purchased a new hard drive to reinstall my Windows Vista. I've
> just updated to Ubuntu 9.0 without any problems and like it very well. My
> question is how to reinstall windows without destroying my Ubuntu boot
> connection? Do I just use the boot facitlity of my BIOS?  I'm just trying to
> verify that I don't muck my system up again.  I differ to your experience.

If you just wnt to use Windows for a few programs like quicken, MS
office or some business-type application then you may want to consider
virtualization. Install VirtualBox and then follow the instructions to
install Windows Vista in Virtual Box. You can then run Windows and
Ubuntu at the same time. This won't work if you are hoping to use 3d
applications like games.

A picture may explain the end-result a little better:
http://code.bearfruit.org/~matt/tmp/moviemaker.png

Get VirtualBox for free from http://www.virtualbox.org

--
Matthew Nuzum