[Cialug] OT: cheap flights to ???

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Mar 12 10:55:32 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org>
> wrote:
> > I wish the dsm airport had a way to list "deals" from this airport.
> > Right now if you want to find deals you have to subscribe to each
> > individual airline's newsletter. If I knew there was a $69 flight for
> > next Friday (or whatever) I would consider a spur of the moment
> > weekend trip with the wife. I just wish there was an easy way to find
> > these kinds of things.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this kind of a thing? I contacted the airport directly
> > and they said they have no way to know about these kinds of things. I
> > personally think they just don't want to do it but I'm not sure why.
>
> Check out Allegiant.  They have flights from DSM to Las Vegas,
> Orlando, and a couple of other cities for pretty cheap.  I don't think
> that their fares show up on any of the major flight booking sites, you
> have to go to their web site directly.  I flew on Allegiant to Orlando
> last November and was extremely happy that I didn't have to have a
> layover.  Every other carrier was more expensive and had at least one
> layover.

I flew to Vegas last August on Allegiant.  The only thing to be aware of is
the fees.  They charge you to do your seat selection online.  If you show up
early enough at the airport, it doesn't matter too much.  Those who select
their seats online do get first boarding.  Allegiant runs specials
periodically.  I think the current special is if you book a hotel stay in
Vegas through them, someone else can fly with you for free.

> --
> Jeff Ollie

Tim