[Cialug] Web Slowing Down

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Mar 11 10:51:41 CDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Tim Wilson wrote:

> It's all about flexibility.  With the typical folder system, if you
> put an e-mail in the folder, that's the only place it appears.  With
> labels, if you don't want to move it out of your inbox you don't
> have to.  Plus you can have the same e-mail labeled multiple times.
> For example, I have a Shopping label for places like Newegg,
> Buy.com, etc.  I also have a label for each place.

I'd just hold down the option/ctrl key while dragging the message to a
new folder to make a copy.

> So if I'm looking for something from Newegg, I can just click that
> label.

I'd select the NewEgg folder, then type in the search bar.

> However, if I'm looking for something and don't remember where I saw
> it, I can go to Shopping and search there.

I'd select all folders inside the Shopping folder, then type in the
search bar. With the added benefit of never needing to label for both
"NewEgg" and "Shopping" in the first place.

> Sure, you might be able to get some of this functionality from an
> app, but from a webmail provider?

That one you've got me on. Gmail is by far one of the best webmail
clients available. Though Horde's DIMP (dynamic IMP) is pretty good
too -- it's almost like a local mail client. ;-)

But I'm not really excited about *any* email client, web-based or
otherwise. I was just trying to figure out why labels were better than
folders; I think the answer is "some clients make it easier to use
labels than make copies" -- is there more to it than that?

	Zach