[Cialug] Web Slowing Down

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Mar 11 11:07:32 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com>wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Tim Wilson wrote:
>
>  It's all about flexibility.  With the typical folder system, if you put an
>> e-mail in the folder, that's the only place it appears.  With labels, if you
>> don't want to move it out of your inbox you don't have to.  Plus you can
>> have the same e-mail labeled multiple times.  For example, I have a Shopping
>> label for places like Newegg, Buy.com, etc.  I also have a label for each
>> place.
>>

> I'd just hold down the option/ctrl key while dragging the message to a new
> folder to make a copy.

Yeah, but now you have that same e-mail twice.  If you delete it, you have
to delete it twice.

>  So if I'm looking for something from Newegg, I can just click that label.
>>

> I'd select the NewEgg folder, then type in the search bar.
>

>  However, if I'm looking for something and don't remember where I saw it, I
>> can go to Shopping and search there.
>>

> I'd select all folders inside the Shopping folder, then type in the search
> bar. With the added benefit of never needing to label for both "NewEgg" and
> "Shopping" in the first place.
>

>  Sure, you might be able to get some of this functionality from an app, but
>> from a webmail provider?
>>

> That one you've got me on. Gmail is by far one of the best webmail clients
> available. Though Horde's DIMP (dynamic IMP) is pretty good too -- it's
> almost like a local mail client. ;-)
>
> But I'm not really excited about *any* email client, web-based or
> otherwise. I was just trying to figure out why labels were better than
> folders; I think the answer is "some clients make it easier to use labels
> than make copies" -- is there more to it than that?

Instead of cluttering up your e-mail with copies of e-mails, labels allow
you to have the same e-mail in multiple areas.  Plus, I have filters set up
to automatically label e-mails from Newegg with both the Newegg label AND
the Shopping label.  I don't have to do anything special now that the
filters are set up.  One thing I do need, is a filter to delete e-mail after
a certain age.  I just checked my Shopping label, and I have e-mails that
are over a year old!  Something tells me those prices are out of date.

>        Zach

Tim