[Cialug] Web Slowing Down

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Mar 11 10:34:09 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>
>  For me it is tagging messages as opposed to filing them in folders.
>> Sure, the way tags are implemented emulates folders (albeit without
>> nesting, though there are of course Firefox extensions to fix that
>> lack, should you perceive it as such). But i like being able to put
>> multiple tags on messages. Are there any desktop clients that use a
>> tagging model instead of a pure folder model?
>>

> I don't understand what the difference is, other than you can do a reverse
> lookup to see all the folders/tags related a message without running a
> search. With IMAP I can put the same message into all sorts of folders with
> an client, and a well-implemented IMAP server will even hard-link those
> messages for me, to avoid making copies (not that it matters much, as IMAP
> messages are immutable).

It's all about flexibility.  With the typical folder system, if you put an
e-mail in the folder, that's the only place it appears.  With labels, if you
don't want to move it out of your inbox you don't have to.  Plus you can
have the same e-mail labeled multiple times.  For example, I have a Shopping
label for places like Newegg, Buy.com, etc.  I also have a label for each
place.  So if I'm looking for something from Newegg, I can just click that
label.  However, if I'm looking for something and don't remember where I saw
it, I can go to Shopping and search there.  A lot nicer than searching
through lots of other e-mails that don't have anything to do with shopping.
Sure, you might be able to get some of this functionality from an app, but
from a webmail provider?  I don't have an e-mail client installed anymore.
I only use webmail.  No matter where I log into the site from, there's my
e-mail.

> I've only ever played with gmail for a little bit, bit it looks just like
> folders to me. What am I missing?
>
>        Zach

Tim