[Cialug] Web Slowing Down

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Mar 11 09:44:51 CDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

> For me it is tagging messages as opposed to filing them in folders.
> Sure, the way tags are implemented emulates folders (albeit without
> nesting, though there are of course Firefox extensions to fix that
> lack, should you perceive it as such). But i like being able to put
> multiple tags on messages. Are there any desktop clients that use a
> tagging model instead of a pure folder model?

I don't understand what the difference is, other than you can do a
reverse lookup to see all the folders/tags related a message without
running a search. With IMAP I can put the same message into all sorts
of folders with an client, and a well-implemented IMAP server will
even hard-link those messages for me, to avoid making copies (not that
it matters much, as IMAP messages are immutable).

I've only ever played with gmail for a little bit, bit it looks just
like folders to me. What am I missing?

	Zach