[Cialug] Web Slowing Down

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Mar 11 09:06:19 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> On 2009-03-11 at 08:32:39, Colin Burnett wrote:
>>For me gmail is about the interface, which I have yet to see matched
>>in a desktop client.
>
> For me it is tagging messages as opposed to filing them in folders.
> Sure, the way tags are implemented emulates folders (albeit without
> nesting, though there are of course Firefox extensions to fix that
> lack, should you perceive it as such). But i like being able to put
> multiple tags on messages. Are there any desktop clients that use a
> tagging model instead of a pure folder model?

The beta version of thunderbird is a lot more gmail like. I've not
used it, just reading the release notes.

Regarding nesting tags, you can install greacemonkey in firefox and
install the "Folders4Gmail" user script and it lets you nest tags. You
name your tags something like this:

bugs/personal
bugs/website
lists/cialug
lists/ubuntu
lists/html

This works fine with or without the script but with the script enabled
they will appear collapsed so that they take up less vertical space.
The above lists would show up as two labels that are expandable, bugs
and lists. I have so many tags that this helps me keep track of what's
going on.

Folders4Gmail is part of better gmail 2 but I found that plugin (which
is just a group of greacemonkey scripts) consistently raises firefox's
cpu usage.

--
Matthew Nuzum