[Cialug] OT: safe/reliable fuel-efficient cars.

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon Mar 2 21:17:21 CST 2009

Dan Hockey wrote:

> [...]

You are correct, you're using the gas and the brake together with your
right foot when you do a heel-toe downshift. For whatever reason, sports
cars seem to have all 3 pedals close together.I've seen some people who
will do left-foot "trail braking" with a manual transmission, or do left
foot braking when they start into a braking zone, then switch feet when
they have to shift. Personally I think that's too much to concentrate
on. If you want to see some neat examples of that, watch the old movie
"Grand Prix" with James Garner, from 1968. It has an extended scene of a
driver's footwork as he does a lap around the track.

I've done shifting without the clutch before with an old F-100 truck, I
didn't feel so bad about trying it there, but that had a little more of
a robust transmission than a modern economy car. :)

Here's a clip from that movie, BTW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-MPf4GUU0

-dc