[Cialug] OT: safe/reliable fuel-efficient cars.

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Mon Mar 2 07:37:55 CST 2009

James Shoemaker wrote:
>   I was going to suggest a VW Passat like I drive, I have put 81K miles
> on it without putting anything but gas, oil, and filters in it.  It has
> a manual and gets 27-32 depending on driving/weather.  But then I
> checked the web-site and they don't sell the manual Passat in the US
> anymore.  That leaves me with a huge empty hole in what to buy to
> replace my car when the time comes.
>   My requirements are even worse:
> 1: manual transmission.
> 2: decent handling.
> 3: decent power.
> 4: decent economy.
> 5: room for a wheelchair and walker and 3 people.
> 6: enough headroom for me to sit up

not sure which honda you looked at, but I've got a 2008 Fit sport,
manual, gets 30+ combined driving, and I can sit up and finish off that
last bit of pepsi big slam while driving.  good power, good handling (I
was able to hold my own as a n00b at a recent auto cross event), and the
back seats fold up or down to give you really deep storage (seats up) or
really big cargo room (backs down).  you can also fold down both the
front and back passenger seats to get almost 10'x4' storage - I was able
to haul home my ikea wardrobe, which would never have fit in my S10

-barry