[Cialug] OT: safe/reliable fuel-efficient cars.

Nathaniel Petersen major.stubble at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:53:09 CST 2009

Having recently test-driven a Fit (in anticipation of the new
Insight), I can attest to the headroom.  However, if you are all legs
(as I recently indicated), expect to straddle the steering wheel.
Plus, the manual that I drove had the clutch peddle closer to the
break than I am comfortable with (I have wide feet, too).

Both complaints are nothing new.  I have them for most cars and S-10
sized trucks.  It would help if the Fit's tilt wheel went up even half
an inch more.  I have this problem with my Elantra, so getting in and
out is a little bit of a chore.  But there is sufficient space between
the clutch and the break that I don't have that issue to contend with.

Have you test driven a VW Jetta TDI?  They have a six-speed manual
transmission, and a larger gap between the clutch and the break
(almost 4" more than my Elantra).  They have great handling, and a
little bit more room between the floor and the console (they have a
'uniface' dash that is closer to the driver, making it difficult to
straddle the steering console - so the added inches to the height are
appreciated).

My only problem is that it starts about 5K more than I usually budget
for a new vehicle.  By my math, I would have to drive my current
vehicle nearly 75K, trouble-free miles more before I can save that 5K.
 Since diesel costs roughly 35¢ more right now (and I have no idea how
this trends out, since I can't find actuarial data on diesel), I would
have to get at a minimum one additional mile per gallon to break even.
 Trend data also shows that the Elantra has a lower cost per 10K miles
over the first 150K for maintenance and repair costs (though this is
in comparison to the 2006, non-diesel models).

I don't want to sound like I'm praising the Elantra too much, and I'm
sorry to hear that it took so much damage in your accident, but I
really do love mine.

Here is what Car and Driver had to say about the hatch-back version of
the 2009.  I am actually sad to see that Hyundai put traction control
on this model, as I can not stand to lose that control.  But that is a
preference item, as I'm sure traction control and ABS saves lives.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/suvs_family_haulers/2009_hyundai_elantra_touring_short_take_road_test/(page)/1

-Nick

PS: I know it doesn't help with your purchase now, but a hybrid
Elantra is supposed to make it to the US in 2011 (2012 model).