[Cialug] OT: safe/reliable fuel-efficient cars.

James Shoemaker james at dhlake.com
Mon Mar 2 01:36:19 CST 2009

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> If you were headed westbound on 235 after 5:00 PM last night and hit
> slow traffic because of an accident you can blame the guy that hit
> me.  (email me for his phone number).  We got rear-ended last night
> and my Hyundai Elantra is  probably not revivable.
>
> Faced with the painful prospect of a new (at least to me) car, I'm
> looking at options.  My primary constraints are: * manual
> transmission (because I feel it keeps me focused on driving - my mind
> tends to wander) * reliable * safe * fuel-efficient (The hyundai was
> a commuter and I would go exactly 2 weeks between refuels 27 )
>
> I realize this is a bit of a shot in the dark but is anyone driving
> something they are happy with or would recommend  that meets these
> constraints?

   I was going to suggest a VW Passat like I drive, I have put 81K miles
on it without putting anything but gas, oil, and filters in it.  It has
a manual and gets 27-32 depending on driving/weather.  But then I
checked the web-site and they don't sell the manual Passat in the US
anymore.  That leaves me with a huge empty hole in what to buy to
replace my car when the time comes.
   My requirements are even worse:
1: manual transmission.
2: decent handling.
3: decent power.
4: decent economy.
5: room for a wheelchair and walker and 3 people.
6: enough headroom for me to sit up

   The last knocks out any honda I have ridden in recently, The 5th and
the second indicate a wagon (sport utes don't handle), knocking out many
others.

James