[Cialug] Debian updated without choosing

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Mon Jan 26 13:00:49 CST 2009

See below.

On Monday January 26 2009 12:40, Tom Sellers wrote:
>OK
>
>Here is the sources.list file contents.
>
>#
>
># deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 CD
> Binary-1 20080803-21:07]/ etch contrib main
>

># deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 CD
> Binary-1 20080803-21:07]/ etch contrib main
>

># Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
>
># deb http://security.debian.org/ etch main
>
># Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
>
># deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
>
># deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
>
>deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main
                                     ^^^

Extra linefeeds aside, there's your problem. Debian is configured to get
updates from ftp.de.debian.org ("de"... is that in Germany? You might
consider a more local mirror.). And it is configured to pull updates
from the "sid" branch. So, congratulations, you're not just
running "Testing", but are probably running "Unstable".

Unfortunately, while it is easy to upgrade Stable -> Testing ->
Unstable, going the other way is usually not so simple. If you really
want to get back to Stable, the safest and easiest way would probably
be to reinstall. And then make sure the lines that are supposedly
"commented out by installer because it failed to verify" are
uncommented. It would be useful to really figure out why everything is
commented out except for the one ftp.de.debian.org line at the end, and
where that one line came from.