[Cialug] Debian updated without choosing

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:06:47 CST 2009

I have had great luck moving from testing to stable. I have actually
done it on two separate machines. The key is patience. I simply waited a
*long* time withough apt-get updating, modified the sources.list and
updated. I had made some bad decisions about which version of the OS to
use in the long-long ago of my linux learning (ok, so not that long ago,
only 7 years) and a while after it I decided I wanted something a little
more stable for my home fileserver.

It did break a few things, but they were usually easy to repair. I might
not ever do that again, other than for fun -- I don't completely trust
the machine, and have had some peculiarities in dependences crop up for
some time.

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> See below.
>
> On Monday January 26 2009 12:40, Tom Sellers wrote:
>
>> OK
>>
>> Here is the sources.list file contents.
>>
>> #
>>
>> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 CD
>> Binary-1 20080803-21:07]/ etch contrib main
>>

>> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r4a _Etch_ - Official i386 CD
>> Binary-1 20080803-21:07]/ etch contrib main
>>

>> # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
>>
>> # deb http://security.debian.org/ etch main
>>
>> # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
>>
>> # deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
>>
>> # deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
>>
>> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main
>>
>                                      ^^^
>
> Extra linefeeds aside, there's your problem. Debian is configured to get
> updates from ftp.de.debian.org ("de"... is that in Germany? You might
> consider a more local mirror.). And it is configured to pull updates
> from the "sid" branch. So, congratulations, you're not just
> running "Testing", but are probably running "Unstable".
>
> Unfortunately, while it is easy to upgrade Stable -> Testing ->
> Unstable, going the other way is usually not so simple. If you really
> want to get back to Stable, the safest and easiest way would probably
> be to reinstall. And then make sure the lines that are supposedly
> "commented out by installer because it failed to verify" are
> uncommented. It would be useful to really figure out why everything is
> commented out except for the one ftp.de.debian.org line at the end, and
> where that one line came from.

>>> distribution.