[Cialug] Linux Jobs

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 17:02:23 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> I've never worked for a very large company, but I can mention a 1a. If
> you're interested in this it doesn't hurt to ask your line manager or
> someone influential in the IT dept if you can shift some of your focus into
> Linux or Unix work. Maybe a good way is to just ask if you can have a 2nd
> laptop or desktop with Linux installed on the corporate network. Or if
> you're very brave, switch your primary desktop over to Linux.

This is the approach I've taken.  At my place of work we're setting
goals for the coming year.  I asked my boss if I could make some goals
that involve working with the Unix people.  Then I talked to the Unix
people lead about doing some work together.  He agreed!  I am not just
excited, I am Sofa King happy!

He gave me some Sun training CDs to work through.  I'll work through
them and then report back on how well I understand the material, so we
can get a feel for my current skillz level.  Then I'll get a sandbox
on a Unix server to play with (a container), maybe some training, and
I'll work with them on something.

So, first order of business: 1) Throw oneself wholly into Solaris.  I
suppose a logical thing to do, in that regard, is to install
OpenSolaris at home.

Is OpenSolaris usable as a desktop?  I don't play games or edit video
at home.  Mostly just surf the web, email, write.

--
Todd