[Cialug] Linux Jobs

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 11:53:19 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> There are three ways to get the experience needed to get a higher-level
> Linux job:
>
> 1) Branch out into it from a job as a Windows or Unix admin, learn as
> you go and pay your dues.  However, it's a bit of a crapshoot if this
> will happen for you, and is less likely the larger a company you're in.
>
> 2) Work your "day job" but get involved in a community project and
> devote a lot of time towards learning the new tech.  Leverage that
> experience into a new job after 3 to 5 years.
>
> 3) Be really really lucky and convince someone to waive the experience
> requirement, 'cause you're just that good.

I asked this same question once on the KPLUG (San Diego) mailing list.
 Some of the guys there had gotten Unix jobs at their university way
back when, and a surprising number had gotten into it by starting
their own ISP or similar business, in the early days of the Internet.
Both of those options seem unrealistic today.  Both have "matured"
into professionally run jobs, though I could imagine being a student
lackey or intern, if you were attending university.

--
Todd