[Cialug] Linux Jobs

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Dec 15 11:01:25 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

> There are three ways to get the experience needed to get a higher-level
> Linux job:
>
> 1) Branch out into it from a job as a Windows or Unix admin, learn as
> you go and pay your dues.  However, it's a bit of a crapshoot if this
> will happen for you, and is less likely the larger a company you're in.

I've never worked for a very large company, but I can mention a 1a. If
you're interested in this it doesn't hurt to ask your line manager or
someone influential in the IT dept if you can shift some of your focus into
Linux or Unix work. Maybe a good way is to just ask if you can have a 2nd
laptop or desktop with Linux installed on the corporate network. Or if
you're very brave, switch your primary desktop over to Linux.

Most employers appreciate that their staff what to improve themselves and
learn new skills. It is beneficial for companies to encourage this because
it makes employees more loyal and more valuable. Also, the cost for the
company can be very very low. Both in the cost of the training itself, and
the cost of your time since hiring an expert is more expensive than training
you.

--
Matthew Nuzum