[Cialug] distro for ibook

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Dec 8 16:24:54 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:

> And I resent you calling my laptop a "toy".  Lower quality, maybe, but a
> toy, no.  HP sells different configurations for different stores.  I could
> have probably bought something similar at Office Depot, Office Max, or
> Staples.  Do they sell toys also?

Forgive me, I did not mean to say you were making bad decisions or
that your computer is not a valuable asset. What I meant is that many
manufacturers have two grades of computers, a consumer/personal use
line that is made with plastic housing (nearly every model at Best
Buy, Staples and Office Depot) and another line of computers that are
meant to withstand prolonged daily use, often made of magnesium,
carbon fiber or some metal alloy case.

Even Apple does this, they have a plastic MacBook laptop and aluminium
MacBook Pros, but they're not the best example since even their
low-end model is high on the price spectrum.

Obviously the plastic computers sold at super stores are fine for most
people but if someone depends on their computer I strongly urge them
to check out the business lines. They often come with 2-3 year
warranties and next business day service. No extended warranty or geek
squad is needed.

So how this got to be about business grade computers is because of the
comparison of price points. If you compare the Aluminium Mac Book Pro
13" to the Dell Latitude E4300 or the Lenovo Thinkpad X301 you will
see that the Mac Book Pro is comparatively priced. Comparing the MBP
to the HP Pavilion at Best Buy or the Toshiba Satellite at Office
Depot is not an oranges to oranges comparison.

As I re-read my post it came out sounding much more harshly worded
than I intended it, I do apologize for offending you. Please forgive
me, it was not my intent to attack.

--
Matthew Nuzum