[Cialug] distro for ibook

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Tue Dec 8 17:19:49 CST 2009

Arguing the merits of Apple's products on this list is a hard sell.
Obviously, anyone on this list who is comfortable with linux is going to
be a person who knows how to tinker with a computer.  Telling me I have
to shell out an extra $1000 to get a computer that 'just works' is kinda
laughable, since I have no problem making a computer do exactly what I
want it to do.  I, like many other people on this list probably are, am
a computer hobbyist.  If it doesn't work, I'll bust out google and mess
with it until I figure out why it doesn't, and feel better for having
learned something about it while getting it to work.  Over the weekend,
I had two PCs gutted, taking parts from each of them and throwing in a
new motherboard, RAM, and PSU to come up with a refreshed gaming machine
that is an absolute beast compared to what it was before.  Last night I
dedicated my time to upgrading from Vista Ultimate x64 to Windows 7
Ultimate x64, then spent the rest of the night tweaking things with the
OS and the games I play to get all the performance I can out of the
hardware.

Apple's market is the people with no time or patience to do that sort of
fiddling with their computers who also have the money to spend to make
those problems go away before they happen.  They aren't the computer
enthusiasts, the gamers, or the people who dabble in programming just
because it's fun.  They are the business people whose time is worth a
lot of money, the people who need a computer to just be there and work
as expected when they need it to.  That isn't to say they aren't all
about open-source software, programming, or dabbling, but that when they
want to get down to business, they want to get directly to work, leaving
that hobby to manifest in their personal time.

It's also not to say that Apple computers are infallible workhorses,
either.  Apple has made its mistakes with hardware and software.  They
have, however, managed to convince the public that those issues are
easily resolved and very few and far between.  They have an outstanding
record of taking the money that customers throw at them to make any
problems that do pop up go away in a fast and convenient manner.  If I
had a lot of money, and I could just throw it at a problem when it pops
its head up, I'm sure I'd be very happy with any product Apple comes up
with.  As it stands, though, I am almost masochisticly drawn to the
challenge of forcing an otherwise unruly computer to bow its head in
defeat.  Now that I'm done fiddling with the spawn of M$, I can get back
to the real challenge and joy of messing with Ubuntu, Apache, etc, etc,
etc... on this poweredge server in the next room...  >:D