[Cialug] distro for ibook

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue Dec 8 16:01:06 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com>
> wrote:
> >  PC makers such as Dell and
> > Gateway just slap in cards from the latest companies to have won the bid.
> > That means, 2 PCs coming off the assembly line could have vastly
> different
> > hardware, and vastly different success rates.
>
> > To be fair, the only Apple product I have is an iPhone.  I'd love to have
> > Mac, but I can't justify the cost.  Although given the problems I've had
> > with my HP laptop recently, maybe I should give Mac another look.  My HP
> > laptop is in the shop for the 3rd time.  I bought an extended warranty
> > through Best Buy, so it was covered.
>
> You see, you've pointed out two major mis-conceptions in this email.
>
> 1. Best buy does not sell business-grade computers except the Apple
> products.
>
> If you bought an HP computer at Best Buy you bought a toy. It is
> cheap, it gets the job done but it does not have the same quality of
> build as business grade computers. Just because Apple is the nicest
> computer in Best Buy doesn't mean it's alone. Check out the Latitude
> series of notebooks and the Lenovo ThinkPad line for comparables (or
> if you like HP, the Envy line).

When did this turn into a discussion about business grade computers?  I was
responding to Afan's question about why Apple is so much more expensive than
PCs.  Apple is targeted towards consumers.  So is HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway,
E-Machines, etc.  A consumer has to trust that a machine is a quality
product.  What was quality a year ago, may not be so today.  Before I bought
my laptop, I had another HP laptop, and my wife has had 2 Compaq laptops,
and they worked well.  And I asked around who makes a good laptop?  Most
everyone told me HP.  Since then I've heard Toshiba is better, and HP has
gone down hill.  I've even heard people say Dell is the worst for laptops.
So who do you believe?  My take on it is if you pay for Apple, you're going
to a get a better product.  If they're considered business grade, then
fine.  But the consumer isn't going to know that.  How is the consumer
supposed to know the difference between one laptop and another?  Average Joe
Consumer will see what Afan saw, what IS the difference?  They'll go for
something cheaper, not knowing what the differences are.

And I resent you calling my laptop a "toy".  Lower quality, maybe, but a
toy, no.  HP sells different configurations for different stores.  I could
have probably bought something similar at Office Depot, Office Max, or
Staples.  Do they sell toys also?

> 2. Dell (nor any other major manufacturer) does not just slap parts
> into the computer. Having learned a bit about Dell's assembly line,
> the process is not anything like this. There's not a bin of parts that
> can get mixed up together. Especially in the business lines. Models
> are spec'd out and maintained for a considerable amount of time in
> some cases

Unless it has changed in the last 3 years, it is exactly like that, for at
least consumer models.  My wife's brother works there, and he's told us (and
shown us the field of trucks), that when one truck is empty, they pull
another one up.  Sometimes it is from the same manufacturer, sometimes it
isn't.  So the PC that went just left the same line CAN contain different
hardware than the next one.  Apple doesn't do that.  They have a much
tighter control on their hardware.  In so doing, they charge a premium.

.

> > I do think it sucks that I can't develop for the iPhone because I don't
> have
> > a Mac.  The last time I looked, the iPhone devkit was only available for
> the
> > Mac.
> >

> This is precisely why I bought the Mac. However, now I know that it
> was a bad reasoning. Investing my time into learning Objective C is
> investing in Apple's attempt to monopolize the consumer smart phone
> space.

I just can't justify the extra cost of yet another computer for the one or
two apps I might write.

> --
> Matthew Nuzum
> newz2000 on freenode, skype, linkedin, identi.ca and twitter

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/