[Cialug] distro for ibook

Alan Maupin alan.maupin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:54:32 CST 2009

It's not about the Logo, its about quality.  The hardware and software provide a premium enduser computing experience.  My computing experience began with DOS in 1988, Amiga in 1990, and then Slackware in about 1994.  Since then I've gone through all the versions of Windows and tried many Linux distributions.

Currently, a good digital photography workflow or high end home-based video editing platform was not possible on Linux.  Windows became more and more of an issue with so many OS problems.  I was forced to stay with XP since my real-time video editing card was tied to XP and Adobe Premiere.  Finally, a Windows malware problem cause a large loss of data and convinced me to take drastic measures.

In the fall of 2008 I decided to try Apple.  I purchased a MacBook Air for my Son and a MacBook with Cinema display for myself.  My main focus was video and image editing so I also purchased Final Cut Express for the MacBook.  The Macbook had 4-Gb Ram and a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo processor.  From that experience, this spring I went ahead and purchased a QuadCore MacPro with 8-Gb ram and Final Cut Studio.  NOw, If I want or need Linux or Windows I boot it up on my MacPro using Parallels Desktop.  I can run OS X, Linux and Windows simultaneously on the same machine, but I've yet to find a need for that.