[Cialug] Smartphone, PDAs, & 'Syncing' Follow UP

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Mon Dec 7 11:11:52 CST 2009

In the world of Blackberry there are a couple proprietary synching options I am familiar with from RIM.   You can synch with your desktop outlook by itself, with Exchange through BES and with Exchange suing a free BES express-style server.  I'm not sure if there is an analog to the direct-to-Outlook sync for other operating systems.  The Encryption used would probably be a showstopper for an open source analog though one might think they would have Macs covered by now but I haven't really looked.

At one point there was a BES edition for plain SMTP, though I'm not sure if that option is still available.  It seemed to be targeted at service providers but still ran on Windows servers.

Notify-link may be another option and they may even have non-Windows software.  I heard about this from an open-source advocate friend who also likes Novell and uses GroupWise.

Some of my data has followed me from a Wizard organizer to Newton, to Palm and then to Blackberry.  When I selected Blackberry it was more like Palm w/keyboard + email than what it has become today (phone etc) but it still meets the very basic needs well.

-Nate