[Cialug] Smartphone, PDAs, & 'Syncing' Follow UP

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Dec 7 10:55:47 CST 2009

Continuing on the thread from a few weeks ago, I am realizing that in
upgrading to a smartphone the more important question might be  PIM, ..
I need to also retire my Palm - while maintaining 15 years of history, of
course.

Andriod phones prefer Google services so the 'Cloud' is one option, but I
really prefer to run our own servers, pick the OS, h/w, etc.

Some of the Exchange Replacements (Zimbra, Scalix, Open-Xchange, & OSER
appear to be choices), but it is not clear how well they would work with a
smartphone and Evolution or Thunderbird (which would require their own
Exchange Connectors for Calendar & Contacts), .. realizing also that this
'project' is not the typical SME Exchange replacment.

Has anyone gone this route? With Verizon, ideally? It looks like Verizon
offers 'Sync' services for Android platforms to Exchange and, of course,
there's also BES [Blackberry Enterprise Server], but I'm not sure how
realistic BES would be as an internal server and it's certainly not OS.

TIA for any guidance,

	Lee