[Cialug] [OT] Solaris books

Jerry Heiselman jerry at heiselman.com
Fri Aug 21 18:10:31 CDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
> wrote:

> The earlier versions of Solaris seemed to me like a primitive Linux
> distro; the standard base utilities (even as basic as "ls" and "grep")
>  sort-of worked but didn't have all the features i expect.

That's because Sun writes their own versions and doesn't leverage the great
utilities from the GNU project.
Don't know why.

> Most system administration seemed standard Unix but the package management
> was
> light-years behind Linux.

No kidding.  I was a Solaris admin for a few years and when I started using
apt I was blown away.

> Usually if i install a large collection of GNU ports from Sunfreeware
> then the system is sane enough that it isn't *too* difficult to work
>  with...

 That's the typical way of handling Solaris.  There is also the CSW stuff
from blastwave.org.  They provide an apt-inspired package managed system for
Solaris.

--
Jerry