[Cialug] [OT] Solaris books

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Fri Aug 21 20:06:30 CDT 2009

Jerry Heiselman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
>> wrote:
>
>> The earlier versions of Solaris seemed to me like a primitive Linux
>> distro; the standard base utilities (even as basic as "ls" and "grep")
>>  sort-of worked but didn't have all the features i expect.
>

> That's because Sun writes their own versions and doesn't leverage the great
> utilities from the GNU project.
> Don't know why.

to be fair, solaris isn't like linux, because it's not linux, it's unix
(and I'm sure many old-timers will even decry it's deviation from/since
SysV)

and to Dan's original statment, many gray beards dislike the GNU tools
not acting like they expect (usually about GNU tar)

-barry, not trying to be contrary, just relativistic