[Cialug] New desktop ?

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon Apr 20 10:15:12 CDT 2009

I'm not trying to say that people didn't have problems with KDE4... just
curious what version (4.0 or 4.1) and if maybe RedHat just had something
poorly configured... which wouldn't be surprising from a company that
publicly says that the Linux desktop is dead.

I think KDE4 got a bad rep when the 4.0 version was released with some
distros (when the KDE developers said it wasn't ready for production
use), now there's a perception issue (like the old BS that you couldn't
run PHP with Apache 2.0 because it wasn't thread safe).

If KDE4 were crashy, I'd drop it like a hot rock. I can't stand having
my desktop crash.

Mandriva 2009 and KDE4.1 are perfectly stable and usable for me. I've
tried Kubuntu and it seems to be fine as well.

-dc