[Cialug] New desktop ?

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:04:23 CDT 2009

FWIW, I have had many of the same issues with KDE4 that Jeff Chapin had.
And then some.  I have been a longtime KDE fanboy, and it's been sad to see
it turn into this crashy, glitchy mockery of its former glory.  I tried
workarounds for many of the issues, but eventually I decided I have more
important problems to solve.

In my search for alternatives, I switched to XFCE (on my ubuntu intrepid
laptop at least) and hacked up a wrapper around wmctrl to regain precise
keyboard-based control of my windows' positions, sizes, workspaces, etc.
like I used to have in KDE3.  It's not too bad, and does seem to save me
some ram/cpu.  My other boxen still have KDE3 for the time being.

Interestingly, it seemed like KDE4's feature to let you apply qt4 themes to
gtk apps made my firefox horribly slow and suffer numerous drawing glitches,
at least under the themes I was trying.  Switching to XFCE made my firefox
noticeably faster and less glitchy.