[Cialug] New desktop ?

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon Apr 20 09:50:14 CDT 2009

Interesting... I've been running KDE 4.1 in Mandriva 2009 daily since
last summer when I started with an alpha release. I only ran KDE 4.0 for
a few hours... I could tell it wasn't ready for prime-time so I didn't
use it.

Never had any stability problems with KDE 4. I have a PC at home that
runs for months at a time with KDE up.

Don't run dual monitors daily, but I have done it. I used the nVidia
tool to set it up (I think it's called nvidia-config or nvidia-tool or
something like that), and it worked great.

The clock is just another widget. There are like 5 clock widgets (and
probably more), if you don't like the default one, remove it and add a
different one.

You could give Mandriva a try... it's similar to RH in a lot of ways,
but they have their crap together better for the desktop experience.
There's a Mandriva One live CD you can try if you don't want to install
it. For installing & updating software, I like Mandriva's "urpmi" much
better than yum / up2date.

-dc