[Cialug] Mass Mail Etiquette

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon Apr 13 10:53:31 CDT 2009

Todd Walton wrote:
> I just got an email from a programming user group I'm part of where
> the person put all 20-some people on the To: line.  I don't like this
> because everyone out there gets my email address.  I stand a much
> better chance of getting spam because of it.  But even if I don't get
> a single bit of spam more, it's still a matter of courtesy.
>
> Can someone suggest to me good reasons for a person not to put
> everyone's name on the To: line of an email?  Reasons that Joe Anybody
> would read and nod his head to?
>
> -todd, unrepentant digital mr manners

Besides the privacy issue... one thing I dislike about these is people
tend to hang on to the manual distribution lists, and keep re-using
them. Then you have issues where people can't "unsubscribe", or change
their email addresses.

Tell them to set up a mailing list... either on their own like mailman,
or google or yahoo groups or something.

-dc