[Cialug] Mass Mail Etiquette

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon Apr 13 11:28:33 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:

> Todd Walton wrote:
> > Can someone suggest to me good reasons for a person not to put
> > everyone's name on the To: line of an email?  Reasons that Joe Anybody
> > would read and nod his head to?
>
> Have them read this: http://bccplease.com/
>
> Eric

A few years ago, I sent Channel 13 an e-mail complaining about them running
weather reports and not airing Enterprise.  I guess I wasn't the only one
who complained because the program manager sent us all an e-mail.  Of
course, he put my and a bunch of other people's addresses on the To: line.
 I received e-mail from the other recipients.  I guess they felt that since
I had something in common with them, I wanted to hear from them too.
When I do a mass mailing, I put my address in the To: list, and everyone in
the BCC: list.  That confuses some people, but when I explain it to them,
they understand.

Just because you can put multiple people on the To: line, doesn't mean you
should.  If I were to send out a letter to a bunch of people via snail mail,
I wouldn't put everyone's address on each of the envelopes.  I'd put one
address on each envelope.  I know, putting multiple addresses on a single
envelope isn't feasible, but you get my point.

And don't even get me started on people who forward jokes on and don't strip
out the extraneous crap left over from the person who sent it to them, and
the person that sent it to that person, ad nauseam x20.

--
Tim