[Cialug] [omaha] Google Datacenters

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Apr 10 09:06:33 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T
<jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:
> I saw this article earlier today
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10209580-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Doh! I had this exact idea (built in battery backup) back in '98/'99.
I've even mentioned it several people since then. My boss back then
thought I was nuts. My reasoning was why go through the trouble to use
advanced switching power supplies to create 120vac from a 12v gel cell
that will just get converted back to DC by the PCs power supply?

Oh well, glad someone's doing it. How long do you think before we
start seeing this all over the place? Google says they have a patent
on it, but it would just be plain evil to keep such a good idea locked
up, right?

--
Matthew Nuzum