[Cialug] Ubuntu release & sour grapes blogging

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Fri Oct 31 10:06:03 CDT 2008

Anyone running the latest Ubuntu release from yesterday? I haven't
grabbed it yet but probably will give it a look this weekend to try it
out... even though I'll stick with Mandriva 2009 for my main systems.

I ran across this blog entry a couple of days ago while googling for
something else. I would take what he says with a big grain of salt...
and I understand how someone who's trying to sell a Linux distro might
be a little frustrated with Ubuntu. In related news, Shuttleworth
announced that he thinks Ubuntu will become profitable in 2 or 3 years,
and that he's willing to keep supporting it with his own money until then.

http://www.happyassassin.net/2008/10/28/why-i-dont-like-canonical/

My personal take on it is that monoculture isn't good, and while Ubuntu
isn't there yet, they have certainly become what RedHat was a few years
ago - just about the de-facto standard version of Linux, at least for
desktop Linux. I think the author of the blog entry above isn't
completely fair - I understand that Ubuntu does contribute some back to
the community, and they have done a huge amount of Linux advocacy.

I don't like Ubuntu because it used Gnome by default, but that's pretty
easy to fix by putting a "K" in front of it and downloading Kubuntu. I
see on Distrowatch.com that Kubuntu, Mythbuntu, UbuntuStudio, and others
are available too.

-dc