[Cialug] Ubuntu release & sour grapes blogging

Chris Louden chris at chrislouden.com
Fri Oct 31 10:33:23 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:06 AM, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> wrote:
> Anyone running the latest Ubuntu release from yesterday? I haven't grabbed
> it yet but probably will give it a look this weekend to try it out... even
> though I'll stick with Mandriva 2009 for my main systems.

I have been running 8.10 64bit since Alpha 6 and on through the BETA
releases. Running it on a Lenovo T61 which is my primary PC. I
downloaded the .ISOs last night of the formal release and will be
doing a clean install of the 32 bit this weekend. I prefer the 64 so
that I fully use the hardware to its abilities but there are issues
with several plug-ins like Flash where it is not always stable. I
haven't used a 32bit distro in over 2 years so i like to see how
stable it can be. If Its worth it I'll keep it otherwise I will do a
clean install of the 64bit from the final release in a few weeks.

I'm a bit biased as I prefer Debian based to anything .rpm based.
However I am really happy with it.

> I ran across this blog entry a couple of days ago while googling for
> something else. I would take what he says with a big grain of salt... and I
> understand how someone who's trying to sell a Linux distro might be a little
> frustrated with Ubuntu. In related news, Shuttleworth announced that he
> thinks Ubuntu will become profitable in 2 or 3 years, and that he's willing
> to keep supporting it with his own money until then.

I really appreciate what he is doing. I think the Ubuntu community at
large does as well.