[Cialug] Open Source Security Tools

Jerry Heiselman jerry.heiselman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 09:25:49 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

> I suspect that a number of us know about some of the more common open
> source and no-longer-open-source security tools (nessus, nmap, snort,
> etc).  However, I am curious as to whether or not anyone here has been
> playing with the newer tools.
>
> Does anyone have any favorite open source / open source friendly tools
> that do log management or web vulnerability scanning?
>
> I'm starting to look at proxystrike, ratproxy and nikto for web
> vulnerability scanning.  Any others I should look at?
>
> Has anyone used LogLogic/LASSO for cross-platform log management?
>
> Any others I should be considering?
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701

Well, while I don't know anything about log management tools, when it comes
to security tools, I've implemented OSSEC (HIDS) and I'm pretty happy with
that.  http://www.ossec.net/.  It monitors logs files for signs of attack
and can report or take an active response.  It also does file integrity
checking and rootkit checking.

--
Jerry