[Cialug] iPod on KDE

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 10:03:10 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can mount it from the command line: 'mount /dev/sdc /mnt/ipod'.  But then
> Amarok says it couldn't get a lock on it or something.  There's no
> lock file on the iPod.

This might be a permissions issue.  Try passing the mount option
-ouid=your_user_name so that your user will own the files on the ipod.

Personally, I have an fstab entry for my ipod like this:

UUID=177D-2EFC /media/ipod      vfat
noexec,nosuid,noauto,rw,user,uid=nathan   0   0

I use a UUID because depending on what USB devices are plugged in, it might
get assigned a different device file.  You can obtain a UUID for your ipod
with "sudo blkid /dev/sdc".  vol_id also works.  Alternatively, you can use
LABEL=volume_label_of_vfat_partition instead of the UUID.

Mounting with the "user" option allows me to mount the ipod without root
priviledges.

I'm not sure where KDE keeps the config for how to handle the iPod when it
gets plugged in.  I would be interested to know if someone figures it out.

- Nathan