[Cialug] Security and the browser

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Wed Oct 22 10:05:03 CDT 2008

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On Tuesday October 21 2008 17:27, Bryan Baker wrote:
>
>> Just don't get me started on "decimated"!
>>

> I'll bite. What's wrong with "decimated"? I know the word has changed
> definition somewhat drastically[1] but otherwise seems OK to me.
>
> [1] Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it once meant having 10% of
>     a population killed (in reference to a punishment meted out to
>     Roman Centurions), but now it means having 10% of a population
>     remain while the other 90% are wiped out. Or in more casual use,
>     it just means a substantial fraction loss of a population.

Yeah, that's the one.

It's one of those things where some people use it incorrectly, it
eventually becomes accepted practice to use it incorrectly.

I think it's commonly used now for an event more loose interpretation -
simply meaning that something was wiped out or destroyed, i.e. "The
tornado totally decimated the town." I've heard that expression used on
national news programs.

-dc