[Cialug] Security and the browser

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Wed Oct 22 12:04:02 CDT 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 10:05 AM, David Champion wrote:
> Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday October 21 2008 17:27, Bryan Baker wrote:
>>> Just don't get me started on "decimated"!
>> I'll bite. What's wrong with "decimated"? I know the word has changed
>> definition somewhat drastically[1] but otherwise seems OK to me.
>>
>> [1] Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it once meant having 10% of
>>     a population killed (in reference to a punishment meted out to
>>     Roman Centurions), but now it means having 10% of a population
>>     remain while the other 90% are wiped out. Or in more casual use,
>>     it just means a substantial fraction loss of a population.
> Yeah, that's the one.

> It's one of those things where some people use it incorrectly, it
> eventually becomes accepted practice to use it incorrectly.
> I think it's commonly used now for an event more loose
> interpretation - simply meaning that something was wiped out or
> destroyed, i.e. "The tornado totally decimated the town." I've heard
> that expression used on national news programs.

Exactly. It literally means to reduce by 1/10 and is now used as a
synonym for total destruction (an almost 180°spin). It also went from
something you did to your own troops (as a punishment) to being
something inflicted by others, but it's the whole proportion thing
that bugs me most. I actually don't even mind when they really do just
mean a larger percentage, but lately people have been using it as
utter destruction.

Love the addition of "totally" in your example, Dave.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means" Inego Montoya

Here's a usage note from my computer's dictionary:

USAGE Historically, the meaning of the word decimate is ‘kill one in
every ten of (a group of people).’ This sense has been superseded by
the later, more general sense ‘kill or destroy a large percentage or
part of,’ as in : the virus has decimated the population. Some
traditionalists argue that this and other later senses are incorrect,
but it is clear that these extended senses are now part of standard
English. It is sometimes also argued that decimate should refer to
people and not to things or animals such as weeds or insects. It is
generally agreed that decimate should not be used to mean 'defeat
utterly.'

--
Bryan "ka-klick" Baker
Singer/Songwriter