[Cialug] SATA the norm these days?

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sat Jun 21 21:36:06 CDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 9:11 PM, Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> I still see some comments and warnings  – mostly where it applied to
> multimedia applications, like MythTV etc,  that SATA – or SATA
> drivers under linux- are not as reliable as IDE.  Maybe those are
> outdated comments from 2 years ago?

There we some problems with the SATA drivers in the past, but there
haven't been any real issues now for at least a couple of years. Non-
DMA devices still run in 16-bit mode, which can limit performance, but
unless you have CF disks you're unlikely to find hard drives without
DMA support.

The SATA drivers were merged with the SCSI tree a good while ago via
libata, which cleaned things up considerably from the ad-hoc drivers
available before. The merge was first available back in 2.6.<single
digits>, first useful around 2.6.10, and pretty good with most
chipsets by about 2.6.16. And in moderns kernels you can disable IDE
support entirely and use libata for both PATA and SATA, making the
distinction almost nonexistent from a driver standpoint.

	Zach