[Cialug] Fwd: Des Moines Flooding

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue Jun 10 23:09:22 CDT 2008

We live at the top of a hill in West Des Moines.  We woke up Sunday morning
to water nearly ankle deep in some parts of the basement.  In one of the
finished areas of the basement, the water was deep enough to sit above the
lovely 70's shag carpet.  My computer room is also in the basement.
Luckily, it was far enough away from the problem area that nothing was
damaged.  At first I thought the water in our basement was due to a clogged
gutter overflowing, but after seeing carpet out for trash pickup by
surrounding houses, I'm beginning to think it was more than that.  We just
finished going through the rest of the boxes that got damaged.  I guess the
bright side is there's nothing left in the area that flooded, as long as it
doesn't flood any worse than it did Sunday.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net>
wrote:

> My company is helping out in this regard as well.
>
> One of my (non-LUG) friends also has some spaces available for non-IT
> business recovery (tables, chairs... people stuff).
>
> Tomorrow is bound to be interesting.
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701

> If anyone needs a home for their servers or phone service at temporary
> places let me know. We've had more requests than usual recently.
>
> dave
>

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>
> > Just got this in the email from my church. Maybe they're being
> > alarmist, but my basement's already had 1/4" of water in it in the
> > last 7 days and if we do get another 6" some of it will for sure be in
> > my house. I'm taking precautions.
> >

> --
> Dave Weis
> djweis at internetsolver.com