[Cialug] software freedom day

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 07:05:54 CDT 2008

Another 'biggie' that I think would be nice, would be a comparison of
something 'open' to something 'free'(but ad supported). The best example
I have ever seen of this is run a multi-protocol chat program, like
pidgin on one computer, and then run all the required single-protocol
clients on another. Show the ease of an all-in-one solution and how
adding an account for that one user on obscure protocol XYZ is no big
deal with pidgin. Another *huge* selling point, especially when you run
them side-by-side on different machines is some of the 'free' single
protocol clients are infested with ads, and annoying popups. The last
time I say the official AIM client, it popped up a welcome screen,
infested with ads, wasted 1/4 the buddy list to ads, and then slapped
yet another ad into the chat windows (which at the time were not
tab-able). This massive influx of ads, was enough to get many people to
ask me how I got rid of them when they say me using Pidgin -- and they
converted immediately.

Jeff