[Cialug] software freedom day

Theron Conrey theron.conrey at dice.com
Fri Jul 25 07:22:37 CDT 2008

>>Quote from Jeff:
>>You can also provide a CD with less open, but still free software such as ClamAv, Panda, Avast AV, Spybot, Hijack this, stuff not included on the first >>disc, etc, etc.
>>Jeff

I think that if we are going to register our team from software freedom day, we ought to make sure that we are all talking free software with a big F.  I know that ClamAV is GPL, but I'm pretty sure none of that other software is Free, just available at zero cost.  It would be a good idea for everyone to fully read the Software Freedom about page to fully understand the spirit of the day.  If you want to do a "help windows users move to Linux or use no cost software day"  that's fine, but let's not use http://softwarefreedomday.org/SoftwareFreedom Software Freedom day to do that.

This is a day about Free software.  If we want to do something else, fine, let's just not do it on this day, or just call it what it is.

Oh, and if I'm back in town from a work trip, I'll help do either day we decide to do.

-Theron