[Cialug] software freedom day

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 06:43:30 CDT 2008

There used to be a project where they took all kinds of distributable
software (I think it was all open source, too, given the name 'opencd')
that was designed to give out. To the best of my knowledge it included
stuff like openoffice, Clam, some games, etc. It appears that the
project that I was thinking of has been replaced by www.theopendisc.com.
Rather than rolling your own discs from scratch, this might be a great
starting point. It has a nice listing of software on it:
www.theopendisc.com/programs/.

Personally, I think that a twofold approach would work pretty well:
Supply something like the opendisc to show them the power of open
software, and help them replace the non-open stuff they are using. You
can also provide a CD with less open, but still free software such as
ClamAv, Panda, Avast AV, Spybot, Hijack this, stuff not included on the
first disc, etc, etc. You could also include on this second CD something
like Portable Firefox, and pre-populate the bookmarks with links to all
sorts of opensource resources, and information on how to use what we
provide them.

That way, you can help clean up the computer, provide them a
demonstration of some free utilities, and then  show them some
additional free software, and let them take something home, even if they
don't bring in a computer.

Jeff