[Cialug] git in structured environment

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jul 10 14:34:35 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Back to the original question I posed (I have no qualms about
> discussing git in general though).
>
> Could you elaborate how you use git in a work setting where it's just
> a few or one developer?

Whenever you start work on a new feature, create a branch and work on
the branch.  If the new feature works out merge it back to the main
branch.  If it doesn't work out delete the branch.  Commit often.
Separate commits into logically-related changes that can be easily
reviewed one by one.

> Namely about backing up code,

Set up a server other than your production systems and your
development workstations.  Give each developer some space on that
server where they can set up remote repositories to push all of their
code to.  Highly encourage developers to push any code they are
working on to the server, at least once a day if not more often.  Take
the normal precautions with RAID, backups etc for this server.  A
setup like this also has the benefit of setting up an easy system for
sharing the code as well.

> distributing compiled code to development and/or production servers, etc.

Well, that's going to depend on what you're developing.  In one case I
have some scripts that automate some downloads that I maintain in a
Git repo.  For these scripts I push the changes from my desktop where
I do the development to a repo on a server I have set up, then I pull
the changes down to the production machine.  For some of the FOSS
projects I'm involved with we have a "main" git repository that
several people have commit access to.  I just push my changes up to
the main repository (git won't let you push unless you have merged in
all of the other upstream changes) and when it comes time to make a
release one of the other team members generates a tarball and builds
packages etc.  But there are lots of other ways to do it, it's very
situation specific.

Jeff