[Cialug] git in structured environment

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 9 22:25:27 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Lathrop Preston <lathrop at prestonfam.org> wrote:
>> I love internet communication.  :)  It seems to me that you have a

Remember to be careful of tone. Some of the comments sound a bit
hostile and it's probably not necessary.

> I don't see how git can be used for version control, seems a bit too ad-hock
> and I'm guessing that conflict merges are a constant item to take care of?
> Well that is off topic here.
>
> Based on this and the comments made by others it doesn't sound like there
> really is a way aside from mandating everyone do a 'git push'(?) to the
> backup. I'm bowing out of the conversation here. I lack the experience with
> git specifically.

DVCS is quite a change from CVS/SVN. It took me a good 18 months to
figure it out and even then it was someone hand holding me through the
process.

Thinking of it this way helps me to comprehend it - I use the version
control to keep track of my changes and then periodically put those
changes in a place for others to use. Likewise I will pull in changes
from others on occasion.

On some projects I am the only one using the dvcs and it basically
amounts to sftp with versioning built in. On other projects were I
work with others I do bzr commit always followed by bzr merge && bzr
push from/to a central place.

DVCS is heaven for oss projects. I'm not sure if the benefits hold up
for non-distributed teams.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode